Faith in Action Blog
The College is pleased to announce the priestly ordination of four alumni this summer, bringing us to 50 priests in our first 40 years! The newest alumni priests are:
1. Rev. Edmund Waldstein, O.Cist. (’06), ordained by Christoph Cardinal Schönborn, O.P., Archbishop of Vienna, on June 19, 2011. Fr. Waldstein is a Cistercian at the Stift Heiligenkreuz monastery outside of Vienna. The photo above shows him on his ordination day (left) along with his fellow new priests and Cardinal Schönborn, the College’s 2004 Commencement Speaker.
2. Rev. Jonathan Perrotta (’95), ordained by the Most Rev. Earl Boyea, Bishop of Lansing, at St. Mary Cathedral in Lansing, Mich., on June 11. Fr. Perrotta was recently profiled in Faith, Lansing’s diocesan magazine. The profile is available here. (Scroll to the bottom of the page.)
3. Rev. Nick Blaha (’02), ordained by the Most Rev. Joseph Naumann, Archbishop of Kansas City, on May 28. In the photo to the left, Fr. Blaha is shown offering His first Mass.
4. Rev. Joseph Dygert (’02), ordained to the priesthood in Colorado Springs on June 19. On the right is a picture of Fr. Dygert when he was still Deacon Dygert.
To celebrate the beatification of Bl. John Paul II, we asked alumni to send in their photos and memories of the late Holy Father. The slideshow below features the various responses we received. Bl. John Paul II, pray for us!
Listeners to the top-rated Catholic radio program in the United States will recognize the voices of two prominent Thomas Aquinas College alumni: Rev. Sebastian Walshe, O.Praem. (’94), and Dr. Pia de Solenni (’93). Both have appeared on several recent episodes of Catholic Answers Live, which is broadcast on hundreds of terrestrial stations nationwide, and is also available via Sirius satellite radio, streaming audio, and podcast.
Fr. Sebastian, a professor of philosophy at the Norbertines’ St. Michael’s Abbey Seminary in Orange County, Calif., will be the chaplain for Thomas Aquinas College’s 2011 High School Summer Program. Follow the links below to listen to or download his appearance on four Catholic Answers Live episodes:
- The Role of Logic in Apologetics (May 7)
- Are You Predestined? (February 10)
- The Nature of Prophecy (December 6, 2010)
- Can Doctrine Develop? (April 26, 210)
An ethicist and cultural commentator, Dr. de Solenni is an expert on issues relating to women’s health, feminism, and the culture at large. Below are links to two Catholic Answers Live episodes for which she was the featured guest:
Dr. de Solenni was the 2001 recipient of the Pontifical Academies Prize for her doctoral dissertation, which examined various feminist theories in light of the anthropology and theology of St. Thomas Aquinas.