Thomas Aquinas College believes that Catholic liberal education should be available to qualified students who desire it without regard to their ability to pay. It therefore accepts students without considering their financial means and provides financial aid for those who demonstrate need. After a student and his family make their best effort to meet tuition, room and board, the College endeavors to supply any remaining need with a Service Scholarship (work-study) and a grant.
Since all financial assistance provided by the College comes from charitable donations – most of which the College must seek on an annual basis – the College expects a student’s “best effort” to include taking a reasonably sized student loan and applying for any outside scholarships and grants for which he may readily qualify. This includes not only such help as may be available from state and federal governments, but also help such as National Merit Scholarships, local service club scholarships, high school awards, etc.
All students are encouraged to apply for outside scholarships and grants.For a student who is not receiving assistance from the College, outside scholarships and grants can be a significant help for the student and his parents when paying for tuition, room and board.
If a student is receiving assistance from the College, outside scholarships and grants are the first resources used to meet the student’s financial need. They significantly ease the burden on the College and its donors, and they enable the student himself – the primary beneficiary of his education – to take responsibility for as much of the attendant costs of that education as he can. The attention and energy spent acquiring financial assistance from sources other than the College can moreover help the College make genuine Catholic liberal education available to all.
Keep the Financial Aid Office Informed of Any Outside Scholarships and Grants.
Students are responsible for informing the Financial Aid Office when they are notified of scholarship awards, regardless of whether they are receiving a financial aid package from the College, so the award can be properly noted on the student’s Payment Plan & Promissory Note. If a financial aid package has already been prepared for the student, Thomas Aquinas grant funds are reduced by the additional amount received from outside sources. If the amount received from outside sources exceeds the College grant, the Service Scholarship (work-study) is reduced by the remaining funds available from outside scholarships. Outside scholarships exceeding the College grant and Service Scholarship can be used to reduce the student loan or family payment.
Where can you find outside scholarships and grants?
First, students should look into their potential eligibility for state grants by contacting their state postsecondary education agency.
The majority of outside scholarships and grants, however, come from organizations in the student’s local community. You may find scholarships sponsored by your parish, high school, local businesses or local service organizations such as the Rotary Club, the American Legion. the Knights of Columbus, etc. Learn about the availability of such scholarships by contacting someone from the specific organization or by directly contacting its main headquarters. Another source may be your parents’ employer or your own employer if you are currently working.
Other scholarships and grants are offered to a wider community. For these awards, we have put together this web page to share information that we have about scholarships and grants offered by businesses and philanthropic organizations.
Shown below are two lists: the first is a list of no-fee scholarship search services and the second is a list of individual (outside) scholarships and grants offered by businesses and philanthropic organizations.
Tip: You may want to set up a separate e-mail address to receive information from these search services and scholarships so that your regular inbox is not filled with advertisements from sponsors. Learn more valuable tips (PDF).
No-Fee Scholarship Search Services
There are many scholarship search resources online. Below is a list of several reputable, no-fee services. The best search services are free, so there is no need to spend any money to use a search service. We suggest that you try out several of these engines, and then utilize the two or three that work best for you.
- Scholarship Experts
- College Board
- Ventura County Community Foundation
This next list shows individual scholarships offered by businesses and philanthropic organizations. These scholarships are not offered or maintained by the College. Please contact the scholarship organization with any questions about the application process, award, or website.
This list has been put together to help students begin their scholarship search and does not include all outside scholarship opportunities. Click on the scholarship name to link to their website and learn more. (The Financial Aid Office makes every attempt to keep this list current, but if any of these links are non-operational, please send an e-mail to let us know. Thank you!)
- $1,000 The Help Save Lives Don't Text and Drive Scholarship (June 1)
- $1,000 Dental Scholarship (June 1)
- $1,500 The Ankin Law Undergraduate Need-Based Scholarship (June 1)
- $1,750 1st Marine Division Association’s Scholarship Program (June 1)
- $1,000 inSegment Marketing Scholarship (June 3)
- $1,000 Abbot and Fenner Scholarship (June 15)
- $1,000 Multiple Sclerosis Scholarship (June 15)This scholarship is available to MS sufferers or those directly impacted by MS.
- $1,000 Fitness Equipment Awareness Scholarship (June 22)
- $1,000 Dave's "Ride A Bike" Scholarship (June 30)
- $2,500 The Urban Mattress Scholarship (June 30)
- $1,000 Solar Action Alliance Scholarship (July 1)
- $1,500 Marc S. Albert Injury Law Scholarship (July 1)
- $1,000 Safe Driver Scholarship (July 10)
- $2,500 Lending Tree Scholarship (July 15)
- $1,000 Ernst Law Group Brain Injury Caregivers Scholarship (July 31)
- $1,000 OklahomaLawyer.com Scholarship (July 31)
- $1,000 CouponChief.com Scholarship Program (July 31)
- $1,000 Diamond Herbs Scholarship Award (July 31)
- $1,000 PromoCodeWatch Smart Spender Scholarship (Aug 1)
- $1,500 Brilliance Scholarship (Aug 1)
- $2,000 Fathom Fountains Scholarship Award (Aug 1)
- $1,000 Bailey and Yarmo Legal Scholarship Essay (Aug 15)
- $3,000 Official Coupon Code Future Leaders Scholarship Essay (Aug 15)
- $1,000 Titanium Kay Scholarship (Sept 30)
- $1,000 Hotel.com.au Travel and Tourism Scholarship (Sept 30)
- $1,000 SnapAgency Scholarship (Oct 5)
- $1,000 Healthy Hustler Scholarship (Oct 15)
- $3,000 7 Binary Options Scholarship (Oct 15)
- $4,000 International Student Travel Video Scholarship (Oct 22)
- $2,000 Career Step High School Seniors Scholarship (Oct 31)
- $2,500 Enhanced Insurance Scholarship (Oct 31)
- $5,000 Cheap Car Insurance Commercial Scholarship (Oct 31)
- $20,000 Coca-Cola Scholars Program Scholarship (Oct 31)
- $1,000 Become an Educator Scholarship (Nov 1) ToBecomeATeacher.org has confirmed that Thomas Aquinas College students are eligible for this scholarship if they intend to enter the field of teaching.
- $1,000 Joe Foss Adopt a Veteran Scholarship (Nov 15)
- $1,000 Open Internet Scholarship (Nov 18)
- $4,000 Vol & Tier Digital Excellence in Entrepreneurship Scholarship (Nov 21)
- $1,000 McKenzie Law Firm Legacy Planning Scholarship (Nov 29)>
- $1,000 Good360 Sustainability Scholarship (Nov 30)
- $5,000 Sixt Rent a Car Scholarship (Nov 30)
- $1,000 Look Twice, Save a Life (Dec 1)
- $1,000 Steven M. Sweat Scholarship Essay Contest (Dec 1)
- $1,000 digicert Risk of the Internet of Things Scholarship (Dec 1)
- $1,000 digicert The Internet of Things in the Future Scholarship (Dec 1)
- $5,000 Staver Law Group Personal Injury Scholarship (Dec 1)
- $500-$2,000 Herrman and Herrman Innovation Scholarship (Dec 1)
- $3,000 ChameleonJohn Annual Scholarship (Dec 1)
- $5,000 Neil Patel Scholarship Program (Dec 1)
- $10,000 The Krist Law Firm, P.C. National Scholarship (Dec 1)
- $5,000 Elie Wiesel Prize in Ethics Essay Contest (Dec 8)
- $1,000 Annual Depression Treatment Education Scholarship (Dec 15)
- $1,000 Annual Anxiety Treatment Education Scholarship (Dec 15)
- $1,000 General Marketing Education Scholarship (Dec 15)
- $1,000 National Garage Door Atlanta Asthma and Allergy Scholarship (Dec 15)
- $1,500 F.C. Tucker Scholarship (Dec 15)
- $1,000 Internet and Education Scholarship (Dec 18)
- $1,500 Doorbusters Black Friday Scholarship (Dec 18)
- $1,500 Auto-Pets "Out-Of-The-Box Thinking" Scholarship (Dec 20)
- $1,000 Mark A. Forester Foundation Scholarship (Dec 21)
- $1,000 Employment Law Scholarship (Dec 31)
- $1,000 DC Lawn Service Scholarship (Dec 31)
- $1,000 LawnStarter Lawntrepreneur Scholarship (Dec 31)
- $1,000 PDF to Excel Scholarship (Dec 31)
- $2,000 The Pearce Law Firm Car Accident Scholarship (Dec 31)
- $1,000 DermMedica Scholarship (Jan 1)
- $1,000 Spread the Word on Safety Scholarship (Jan 6)
- $2,000 Douglas B. Rogers Essay Competition Scholarship (Jan 8)
- The Gates Millennium Scholars Fund (Jan 15)
- $500-$5,000 Washington Crossing Foundation National Scholarship (Jan 15)
- $1,000 Pre-Health Professionals Scholarship (Jan 31)
- $1,000 Ashton and Price College Scholarship (Jan 31)
- $2,000 Chaffin Luhana Anti-Distracted Driving Scholarship (Feb 1)
- $2,000-$20,000 PG&E Bright Minds Scholarship (Feb 9)
- $500-$2,000 Courageous Persuaders Scholarship (Feb 11)
- $400-$5,000 California Strawberry Scholarship (Feb 15)
- $1,500 Original Content Car Safety Video Scholarship (Feb 20)
- $2,000 Unplag Scholarship (March 1)
- $2,500 Couponing in College Scholarship (March 25)
- $1,500 Caliber Cares Foundation Great Books Scholarship (March 25) Nevada school graduates or residents only.
- $1,000 Tripping.com Travel Lovers Scholarship (March 31)
- $1,200 Dr. Arthur A. Kezian DDS Science Scholarship (March 31)
- $2,500 Insureon Small Business Scholarship (March 31)
- $5,000 MassMutual Scholarship (March 31)
- $1,000 Business Plan Scholarship for Students with Disabilities (April 1)
- $1,000 Student Saver Scholarship (April 1)
- $5,000 Barry J. Nace "Pursuit of Justice" Scholarship (April 1)
- $1,500 Interreligious Peace Scholarship (April 15)
- $1,500 HotelsCheap.org Scholarship (April 15)
- $1,500 Reservation Counter Scholarship (April 15)
- $1,000 Medals of America Scholarship (April 16) For current active duty, veteran, or direct descendant. A Liberal Arts degree qualifies as an "equivalent" degree.
- $1,500 Groth Law Firm Scholarship (April 30)
- $5,000 Grasshopper Entrepreneur Scholarship (April 30)
- $5,000 SlickDeals Student Scholarship (April 30)
- $1,000 Drive to Learn Scholarship (May 1)
- $1,000 Directive Consulting's 'Search to Learn' Scholarship (May 14)
- $1,000-$5,000 Mometrix College Scholarship (May 22)
- $5,000 Financial Genius Scholarship (May 29)
- $1,000 Injury Scholarship (May 31)
- $1,500 Start a Blog Tutorial Scholarship (May 31)
- $1,000 College Drug Awareness Scholarship (monthly awards)
- $1,000 "A GPA Isn’t Everything" Scholarship (monthly awards)
- $1,000 RentLingo's Dream Big Scholarship (Mar/Oct)
- $1,000 Tungsten Rings and Co. Scholarship (Apr/Oct)
- $1,000 Zumper Apartments Scholarship (Apr/Nov)
- $1,000 Scholarship for Students with Self-Employment Experience (Apr/Nov)
- $1,000 Recreation Space Scholarship (Jun/Nov)
- $1,000 DishPromotions.com Scholarship (semiannual awards)
- $1,000 Get-Frontier.com Scholarship (semiannual awards)
- $1,000 Hunt.com Scholarship (Sep/Feb)
- $1,000 RentHop Apartment Scholarship (Dec/Apr/Aug)
- $1,000 Software Providers Scholarship (quarterly awards)
- $1,000 UniversityTutor.com Scholarship Contest (monthly awards)
- $1,000 Varsity Tutors College Scholarship Contest (monthly awards)
- $1,250 Military College Scholarship (semiannual awards)
- $500-$1,500 Wise Company Scolarship (Jun/Nov)
- $1,500 Pelican Water Sustainability Scolarship (Apr/Oct)
- $1,500 Reservation Counter General Scolarship (Apr/Oct)
- $1,500 General Scholarship for Higher Learning (Apr/Oct)
- $1,500 Guerra Dental Scholarship (Aug/Dec)
- $1,500 Used Car to Dream Car Scholarship (quarterly awards)
- $2,000 "No Essay" College Scholarship (monthly awards)
- $2,000 Solutionreach Scholarship (Aug/Dec)
- $2,500 Apartment List Scholarship (June/Dec)
- $2,500 LendEDU Scholarship (semiannual awards)
- $2,500 Discover's College Covered Scholarship (various awards)
- $3,000 Discountrue Scholarship (Jan/Jun)
- $3,000 Credit Repair Scholarship (Feb/Aug)
- $5,000 Lexington Law Scholarship (Feb/Aug)
- $2,000-$20,000 Ayn Rand Essay Contests (various)